If you were hoping to be returning to the biggest United States theme parks anytime soon, we’ve got some bad news for you. In the last few days, some new updates on theme park closures have come in.
The Walt Disney Company previously closed Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Park in Anaheim, Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, and Disneyland Paris on March 14th through the end of March. Those closings have now been extended until “further notice.”
— Disney Parks News (@DisneyParksNews) March 27, 2020
“While there is still much uncertainty with respect to the impacts of COVID-19, the safety and well-being of our guests and employees remains The Walt Disney Company’s top priority,” Disney said in a statement released today.
“As a result of this unprecedented pandemic and in line with direction provided by health experts and government officials, Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort will remain closed until further notice.
“The Walt Disney Company has been paying its cast members since the closure of the parks, and in light of this ongoing and increasingly complex crisis, we have made the decision to extend paying hourly parks and resorts cast members through April 18.”
While there’s no official update on Disneyland Paris, we assume the same will count for that resort.
Update from Universal Studios Hollywood
— Universal Studios Hollywood (@UniStudios) March 24, 2020
As far as the Universal Studios theme park closures, Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal CityWalk will now be shuttered through at least April 19. “We continue to respond to current conditions and make the health and safety of team members and guests our top priority,” Universal Studios Hollywood said.
They added: “We will continue to monitor the situation and make adjustments as needed, based on guidance from health agencies and government officials.” The park originally said it would be closed from March 14 until the end of the month.
Here's the latest news.
— Universal Woahlando Resort (@UniversalORL) March 24, 2020
A similar announcement was made by Universal Orlando Resort, which was closed March 15th and previously said it would remain shut until the end of the month.
“We are extending the closure of Universal Orlando Resort through April 19 as we continue to respond to current conditions and make the health and safety of team members and guests our top priority. This includes our theme parks and Universal CityWalk.”
They added: “The Universal Orlando Resort hotels have also temporarily suspended operations. We will continue to monitor the situation and make adjustments as needed, based on guidance from health agencies and government officials.”
— Six Flags (@SixFlags) March 13, 2020
The latest we have on the Six Flags parks is that it suspended operations as select properties until the end of March, though we expect that will change soon as well.
UPDATE: Six Flags has just released the following statement, which says that their parks will remain closed until mid-May or later.
— Six Flags (@SixFlags) March 30, 2020