Following the teaser trailer from earlier this month, Netflix has now brought online the official trailer for the I Am Not Okay With This book adaptation. The series reunites IT stars Sophia Lillis and Wyatt Oleff.
I Am Not Okay with This is an irreverent origin story that follows a teenage girl who’s navigating the trials and tribulations of high school, all while dealing with the complexities of her family, her budding sexuality, and mysterious superpowers just beginning to awaken deep within her.
The new series, based on the Charles Forsman graphic novel (buy at Amazon), stars Sophia Lillis (IT films, Gretel & Hansel, Sharp Objects) as Sydney and Wyatt Oleff (IT films, Guardians of the Galaxy franchise) as Stanley Barber.
The cast also includes Sofia Bryant (The Good Wife, The Code) as Dina, Kathleen Rose Perkins (Episodes, You’re The Worst as Maggie, Aidan Wojtak-Hissong (The Mission, Falling Water as Liam, and Richard Ellis as Brad Lewis.
Jonathan Entwistle and Christy Hall co-created the show and are executive producing. Entwistle is directing and Hall is the writer. The executive producers also include Shawn Levy, Dan Levine, Dan Cohen and Josh Barry for 21 Laps Entertainment.
The series, which consists of seven 30-minute episodes, was filmed on location in Pittsburgh, PA.
In addition to the trailer you can watch below, check out these 10 facts about the I Am Not Okay With This book adaptation!
1. Jonathan Entwistle made the creative decision to set the events of I Am Not Okay With This during the same fictional timeline as the first season of The End of the F***ing World.
2. If you keep an eye out, you’ll see an End of the F***ing World easter egg: A newspaper with a picture of James and Alyssa when they’re on the run from the law.
3. Jonathan Entwistle describes the show as “X-Men meets Lady Bird meets The Breakfast Club.”
4. The costuming in the show includes a lot of yellow and black, which is a nod to Pittsburgh’s sports teams.
5. Costume designer Bex Crofton-Atkins handmade many of the costumes in the show, including Stanley’s power blue suit and the Enya T-shirt, and Sydney’s Homecoming dress.
6. Musician Graham Coxon returned to compose the music for I Am Not Okay With This after working with Entwistle on the music for The End of the F***ing World. Coxon, a former member of the band Blur, was a childhood idol of Entwistle’s. He describes the music in the show as “Twin Peaks meets 1980s high school.”
7. Sydney wears dog tags in both the comics and the series, which is a nod to Charles Forsman’s father.
8. The character Stanley Barber is loosely inspired by Anthony Michael Hall’s character in Sixteen Candles.
9. Entwistle asked all the young cast members to prepare for production by watching John Hughes movies and the TV shows My So-Called Life and Dawson’s Creek.
10. Episode 5, “Another Day In Paradise,” is an homage to The Breakfast Club.