David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have exited their deal with Disney’s Lucasfilm to develop a trilogy of Star Wars films that would launch in 2022, according to Deadline. Back in February of 2018, Lucasfilm announced that the Game of Thrones creators and showrunners would write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.
“We love Star Wars. When George Lucas built it, he built us too. Getting to talk about Star Wars with him and the current Star Wars team was the thrill of a lifetime, and we will always be indebted to the saga that changed everything,” David Benioff and D.B. Weiss said.
Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy added: “David Benioff and Dan Weiss are incredible storytellers. We hope to include them in the journey forward when they are able to step away from their busy schedule to focus on Star Wars.”
In August, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss signed a huge overall deal with Netflix to develop new films and shows for the streaming service. “There are only so many hours in the day, and we felt we could not do justice to both Star Wars and our Netflix projects,” they said. “So we are regretfully stepping away.”
Just last month, it was announced that Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige is developing a Star Wars movie for Lucasfilm. The company also revealed in November of 2017 that Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson was creating a brand-new Star Wars trilogy, the first of which he would write and direct. Disney had set release dates for new Star Wars films on December 16, 2022, December 20, 2024, and December 18, 2026, so it should still be able to make those dates with either Feige or Johnson’s projects.
First up in theaters is the final film in the Skywalker saga, J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, which opens in theaters on December 20, 2019. Lucasfilm is also premiering the live-action The Mandalorian series (watch the new trailer) on Disney+ November 12th. Two other series centered on Cassian Andor and Obi-Wan Kenobi have also been announced.